Monday, March 16, 2009

Interviews

So for the past couple weeks I've been in the talks with a couple recruiters and had a couple interviews for summer positions. This wasn't necessarily a new process for me, as I've talked to recruiters in the past, and been interviewed in the past as well. I want to say it's pretty much common knowledge that recruiters focus their attentions on Juniors, and since I fit that profile, I instantly had recruiters paying attention to me, some lining up next day interviews within minutes of talking.

Anyways, after these past weeks of interviewing with many different companies, one thing that stuck out to me was that the company I had originally set as my goal for this summer also gave me my most difficult interview. Most of the companies I had interviews with spent most of the time "chatting" with me, about my past accomplishments and other fluff I noted or talked about on my resume. It got to the point where if I was having a bad day, I'd look forward to an upcoming interview for a quick 30 min to 1 hour morale boosting session.

The week before I interviewed for Increo Solutions, the only company I aspired to work at this summer, I was a nervous wreck. I did the traditional "prep work" of scouring their website and every single press release or third party review of their work. I finished the interview not quite confident with how the interview turned out. I kept replaying that hour over in my head, reliving all the moments I "messed up", thinking about how I can improve myself. The interview itself was a challenge. Compared with interviews in the past, I want to say the caliber of an interview is a good judge of the caliber of the work you will be doing. Interviews in the past that have been well, not taxing on the mind at all, led to positions where my mind wasn't stimulated (aka boring jobs). Depending on what kind of job you are looking for, this may be suitable for you; however, for me personally, I want to learn this summer. I want to learn from hands on experience. I didn't want to be a part of a large firm working in the backroom providing support work, but not seeing where my work went.

I guess on a closing note, you can never be too prepared for an interview?

EB

No comments: